This is a self-paced course where participants receive a theoretical background of Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation to treat Major Depression in clinical practice. It also presents emerging evidence as a therapy and protocols to treat OCD, as well as optimized benefits when combined with Psychotherapy and Sleep Hygiene Maintenance. Participants will receive an overview of TMS intake and safe delivery protocols. The prediction of treatment outcomes and QEEG markers of response and non-response to TMS will also be presented. This course presents a balanced overview of recommended TMS technologies by manufacturers which include Neuronetics, Brainsway, Magventure, Mag and More, Deymed and Magstim and also introduces the new technique of Neuro-Cardiac-Guided TMS (NCG-TMS), a state-of-the-art technique to accurately locate the DLPFC in stimulation.
This online course will also present comparable neuromodulation techniques such as tDCS and is suited to professionals with limited experience in neuromodulation.
After successful completion of tests and modules, you will have a solid understanding of rTMS within the research and clinical fields. Enrolled professionals gain access to the following course lessons and practical demonstration videos.
- rTMS Background: Physics, History & Equipment (14 mins)
- The Invention of TMS (15 mins)
- rTMS Basics: Stimulation Parameters and Safety (10 mins)
- rTMS Basics: Safety (9 mins)
- rTMS in Depression: An early literature review (15 mins)
- rTMS in Depression & OCD: Past and Present (19 mins)
- Other treatments in Depression (13 mins)
- The role of sleep in Depression (16 mins)
- Personalizing and Optimizing TMS and other development (13 mins)
- New developments in rTMS (19 mins)
- rTMS in pain, Parkinson’s, and other disorders (15 mins)
- rTMS in combination with psychotherapy (28 mins)
- rTMS Clinical Case Studies (30 mins)
- Other Neuromodulation Techniques & Introduction to Neuro-Cardiac-Guided TMS (18 mins)
- Preparing the patient and marking the DLPFC (3 mins)
- Marking the SMA (3 mins)
- Finding the Motor Threshold (2 mins)
- Placing the coil over the left DLPFC (1 min)
- Placing the coil over the SMA (1 min)
For this self-paced course, we have estimated the following time commitment:
- 7 hours (approximately) to watch all lessons
- 1 hour to complete all tests plus a final examination
Additional recommended reading material is provided in each lesson
Participants will receive an “rTMS in Depression, OCD & New Developments: Theoretical Component” Certificate upon successful completion of all lessons in this course (see below for practical component).
For all lessons, an 80% pass of the test is required to advance to the next lesson. The test can be repeated as many times as needed. Each lesson includes a recorded video presentation and accompanying learning materials.
After completing all theoretical lessons, there is an automated final exam requiring an 80% pass mark. (We strongly recommend using the note-taking feature in preparation for the exam.)
The course is designed as lessons to be completed in sequence. You will need to watch the presentation in full in order to complete the lesson and advance to the test.
This course must be completed within 6 months, to maintain consistency of study, ensure understanding of course material and prepare you adequately for your practical training.
This online theoretical course is Part I of II steps towards certification or accreditation, depending on your region. Successful completion of this theoretical course is a pre-requisite to attend a Part II – Practical training workshop (see the neurocare academy calendar on our global website for dates and locations.)
The online and practical course combined follows the blueprint by Stichting Hersenstimulatie and requires a further 10 hours supervision to receive accreditation as ‘rTMS Professional’, or a further 20 hours supervision to receive accreditation as ‘rTMS Technician’.
The completion of this online course, followed by a practical workshop (Sydney or Melbourne) is required for certification.
We hold ISO9001:2015 certification and our rTMS Certification Course complies with the RANZCP Professional Practice Guidelines on the Administration of rTMS (PPG16, November 2018). All course or workshop participants will receive a certificate acknowledging their time spent towards Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
For all other regions
Completion of this online course (Part I) and practical workshop (Part II) follow recommendations provided by the IFCN (International Federation of Clinical Neurophysiology) committee for training in the practice of non-invasive brain stimulation (Fried et al. 2020). All course or workshop participants will receive a certificate acknowledging their time spent towards Continuing Professional Development (CPD)